WordPress is a great foundation for building a blog or even website. There are so many WordPress themes out there with all the graphics, colors, widgets and plug-ins that it can be very difficult to find the right theme for your site? How will you know if you found the right one for you? Here are 5 tips to help you find that perfect WordPress theme that you don’t feel the need to change every six months.
So what should you look for ?
Here are a few tips to help you find a great WordPress theme.
- 1 - I think the first thing when looking for a good WordPress theme is to take a gander at the blogs you visit. I’m sure many of the pretty themes have caught your eye. Look at the different features that make it a theme you like. Are the widgets in the sidebar something you would like too? How about the header? The interactive features. Can you easily navigate around the page? Take notes. Take a glance at the bottom of the blog or in the sidebar as this is usually where you’ll see the credits and even a link to who created or designed the blog.
Find a Freebie
- 2 - Once you find a designer or WordPress developer you seem to like the look of visit their websites. Often they will offer free themes or custom themes as part of their services. These free themes usually have the basics of their site designs. Even though it won’t have all the bells and whistles it may have some of the ones to let you know if the theme design will work for you. Visit their website and explore what they have to offer. You may be able to test drive a theme.
- 3 - Okay maybe this should go before the previous tip but hopefully you’re reading this before running out to get your theme. Make sure the theme you choose is safe. This is so important. I didn’t realize this in the beginning when working with my websites. While there are many great WordPress themes there are also some shady characters. What constitutes an unsafe theme? Sometimes they put malware in the theme code. Links to questionable sites and the like. While there are a lot of WordPress free themes out there. Don’t download any old theme ! WordPress.org offers a directory of themes which have been inspected and approved. You can find these themes here . Or get your themes from a reputable company such as StudioPress.
Test, test, test
- 4 - Test the WordPress theme you finally choose. How can you do this? If you’re savvy you can re-create a duplicate of your site that is password protected and test away. This might be a little much for some so happily there is a little plugin, Theme Test Drive, in the WordPress repository that will help you out. View your theme in various browsers, and explore options for customization.
Check it Out
- 5 - How many people have downloaded the theme you chose? Some themes have statistics telling you how many people are using or have downloaded the same theme. Can you customize the theme? One of the nice things about the WordPress theme directory is they do provide this data and they provide a link to the developerís website for more theme options from a reputable developer.
A good WordPress theme is worth the effort it takes to find it. Make notes of what you want and like, including colors, graphics, and layout. Spend time investigating the themes you like, before downloading them, to make sure they’ll provide the features you need to best serve your business and your customers.
We use and enjoy StudioPress here at Biztipsformom and our other sites.
Still unsure of how to get the bet theme set up for your site?
I’m going to highly recommend you take advantage of Blogelina”s Blog Makeover Service. Take the guesswork out of how to set up your WordPress site and theme. Blogelina takes care of it all for you by…
- Setting you up with a free year of Deluxe Web Hosting (
$80- included in the package)
- Installing WordPress on your domain (domain purchase not included)
- Install your choice of Studiopress themes (
$80– included in this package!)
- Install 10 important plugins to keep your site running smoothly (
$50- included in this package!)
- BONUS! The Basics of WordPress e-book (
$25– included in this package!)
- BONUS! Access to 40+ WordPress video tutorials (
$50– included! You’re not left hanging when it comes to using your new site)
So make it easy. Get Blogelina”s Blog Makeover Service